PLANIT’S Top 10 Tips for a Sustainable Wedding
There are a lot of ways to make your wedding ‘green’ or ‘ethical’. Your wedding day should be a reflection of who you are, as that is what will make your day truly memorable and special. It can be hard to make your wedding completely sustainable but it is important to remember that there are so many ways in which you can plan the best day of your life, without having it cost the earth. If having a completely sustainable wedding is not for you then perhaps including some of these ideas below is an option –
- Have no single use plastic cups, straws, or lids at your wedding.
- Use sustainable, locally sourced, organic food vendors and if possible have less meat on the menu.
- Have your wedding cake made with fair-trade ingredients or source from an organic baker.
- Use locally grown seasonal flowers without any pesticides used.
- Use recycled paper for save the dates, invites, programs, menus, and cocktail napkins.
- Use eco-friendly cars and car sharing for transport throughout the day of your wedding.
- Have your wedding ceremony and reception take place in the same venue to save on travel
- Avoid confetti made from unsustainable materials – look towards biodegradable and water soluble substitutes or use plant-based confetti made from lavender, rose petals, fresh herbs and micro flowers.
- Source a designer who ethically designs wedding dresses and bridesmaid dresses. Remember to ensure that the fabrics used don’t harm the planet; organic cotton, hemp, and silks are some ideas that you can use
- You can look for ethically mined metals, and ethically sourced diamonds and other precious stones when it comes to your wedding rings.
Every decision we make, no matter how small, could be contributing to our planet and our future. If you’re planning a wedding, make it a goal to include some of our top 10 sustainable wedding tips.